Starving issue maybe M13A

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

Damo

Starving issue maybe M13A

Post by Damo »

Brains trust I have an issue with Swampy seemingly starving for fuel as it gets hot.The longer you drive the worse it gets to the point of struggling to take off from a standing start.
I’m assuming it’s a fuel issue but could it be something else?
You can build up the revs and drive through it

I’ve replaced the fuel pump and cleaned the tank but after some ideas of what else it may be.
stevend34

Re: Starving issue maybe M13A

Post by stevend34 »

-Not enough fuel pressure (although would have thought it would do it from cold also)
-Blocked fuel filter
-Blocked fuel line
-Fuel line leak
-Air in fuel line / sucking air from bad join
-Fuel line to close to something hot
-Running to hot / air lock somewhere
-Not running at correct temp: thermostat

Any computer fault codes? (is that a thing on that model)
What have you changed lately?
has it progressively got worse or suddenly happened?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

How do you know it's a fuel issue and not an ignition/computer issue? The fuel system is generally pretty robust and simple.

I believe the fuel filter is in tank, so you've effectively eliminated that. Other issue could be a fuel pressure regulator problem but it would be unusual for that problem to arise only when hot. I don't know if fuel pressure is monitored on the M13, but probably not. Get hold of the diagnostic data for the M13A and even if it's not throwing a code, (is it?) by elimination, it will let you work out what isn't covered by diagnostics.

I believe cam angle sensors are problematic in this model and can cause all manner of drivability issues depending on the nature of the failure. Again, depending on the way it's breaking down, it might not throw a code.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Mine turned out to be a faulty ecu.( a known issue in NH Pajs)
It would randomly break down, and come good after resting.
A "professional" tuner checked over ecu and said it was fine. :(
Grab a handful of spare bits from wreckers, and keep swapping suspect bits till it runs.
After trying code reading.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
greyghost
Financial Member

Post by greyghost »

start with the cam position sensor, this will play up but it never seems to throw a code until it shits itself
they run fine cold then break-down (electrically) with heat
pirate4x4 wrote:So much hate, you guys never heard of QUADRANGULATION!? This is thinking outside the box, so outside you can not even see the box anymore :)
Damo

Post by Damo »

stevend34 wrote: Sun 25 Jul, 2021 4:50 pm -Not enough fuel pressure (although would have thought it would do it from cold also)
-Blocked fuel filter
-Blocked fuel line
-Fuel line leak
-Air in fuel line / sucking air from bad join
-Fuel line to close to something hot
-Running to hot / air lock somewhere
-Not running at correct temp: thermostat

Any computer fault codes? (is that a thing on that model)
What have you changed lately?
has it progressively got worse or suddenly happened?
Hi Steve,
I have fitted a new fuel pump with in tank filter and cleaned (with compressed air)the lines and the tank recently which seemed to improve it a bit.Maybe I just hadn’t got it to a high enough temp since as it returned after a decent drive the other day.
I believe all lines and connections are ok.
Engine temp is in the normal range during normal driving and mild thrashing.
The car came with a new cam angle sensor which I have fitted just now so will see if that changes anything

Thanks all for the feedback,will update this after testing.
Damo

Post by Damo »

greyghost wrote: Sun 25 Jul, 2021 7:33 pm start with the cam position sensor, this will play up but it never seems to throw a code until it shits itself
they run fine cold then break-down (electrically) with heat
Changed just now,will see how it goes
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Clearly original owner was chasing an issue. Or just had spares in case.
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
Damo

Post by Damo »

gwagensteve wrote: Sun 25 Jul, 2021 6:00 pm How do you know it's a fuel issue and not an ignition/computer issue? The fuel system is generally pretty robust and simple.

I believe the fuel filter is in tank, so you've effectively eliminated that. Other issue could be a fuel pressure regulator problem but it would be unusual for that problem to arise only when hot. I don't know if fuel pressure is monitored on the M13, but probably not. Get hold of the diagnostic data for the M13A and even if it's not throwing a code, (is it?) by elimination, it will let you work out what isn't covered by diagnostics.

I believe cam angle sensors are problematic in this model and can cause all manner of drivability issues depending on the nature of the failure. Again, depending on the way it's breaking down, it might not throw a code.
Hi Steve,

Not absolutely sure it is a fueling issue,just feels like that and thought it may be due to it getting worse when hot.

Have changed cam angle sensor now and will retest and report the results.

I forgot to mention I have also added some injector cleaner to the fuel so maybe this may help also

I don’t have a scan tool to check codes but will probably bring the car to Bills for a play and could check codes then if anyone has a scan tool on hand.

Thanks all

Damo
Last edited by Damo on Mon 26 Jul, 2021 11:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Damo

Post by Damo »

christover1 wrote: Mon 26 Jul, 2021 11:06 am Clearly original owner was chasing an issue. Or just had spares in case.
Yes I thought that also
Can now confirm it’s not the cam angle sensor.Have changed for a new one.
Also not throwing any codes.Been checked.
Have ordered new spark plugs and will fit them when I can collect them
Have done some research and cleaned the map but not driven yet
This was suggested on big Jimny as a potential issue

The hunt continues.