What type of oil for run in of rebuilt G16B?

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

Pigpen
Associate

What type of oil for run in of rebuilt G16B?

Post by Pigpen »

Hi Guys,

I have searched the site and cant seem to find anything on this topic

I have just about rebuilt the motor on my 96 Vitara SWB Manual (G16B) and was wondering what type of engine oil to use on these old design motors?
The Suzuki manual has a wide range of viscosity, however I am more interested in comments about the use of mineral, semi synthetic or full synthetic for the break in period. Automotive shops sell "break in oil" as well. I plan change oil after 1000kms and re tighten/ check clearances etc.

Most of the recent cars I have purchased from new don't seem to have a requirement to replace engine oil before the first specified service interval although as noted these are older type engines.

Any wisdom / experience appreciated, as there is much conflicting information across different forums

Cheers Rod
Pigpen
Associate

Re: What type of oil for run in of rebuilt G16B?

Post by Pigpen »

Ummm, :?

OK no reply.

Not looking to start a war on which oil brand to use, as I generally buy the cheapest that meets spec.

Anyway I ended up using a 15W-40 mineral oil and plan to change filter after about 500km.
After the 1000km initial run in period, I plan to switch to semi-synthetic (with filter change) as it "seems" to be on special at automotive stores more often than other oils..

Cheers Rod
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Break in oil is a thing - I'd use it, but that horse has bolted. I think you're adding an extra step though that isn't required. I would fill and run with break in oil, after a few hours of running (500km is roughly 10 hours) drop it and go to whatever you choose to run for the duration of the engine. The rings will be bedded by then, there's nothing gained by putting in an intermediate step.

As you will have noticed form the lack of responses, few of us bother with engine rebuilding, preferring to source a replacement motor with better history than what we're removing. Some of us have also had bad experiences with rebuilt G motors.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Pigpen
Associate

Post by Pigpen »

Thanks for your reply Steve,

I will put in a bottle of break in additive as below 100kms.
Understand re 500kms and will remove the extra step as you suggest
Looking forward to the "joys" of a new rebuild ... I did try to source a good runner but was unable to find anything at the time

Rod