Jimny wheel stud upgrade...

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

Nugget

Jimny wheel stud upgrade...

Post by Nugget »

I almost lost my front left wheel driving in Mt Buller on my new /second hand 31" muddies on the weekend.
Heard a rattle and found it held on by just two bolts, that were about to fall off too, the holes in the rim had been rooted and the threads of the studs are mostly ruined. Limped it home with my 29" spare and two nuts.
I figure it's time to replace / upgrade all the bolts and nuts, they're all a bit ratty.
What would y'all recommend as an upgrade?
Would be nice to have some longer bolts with quick start noses, like these:

https://www.jegs.com/i/ARP/070/100-7712/10002/-1

But will they fit?
Also want to know if a 60 degree taper is correct for the wheel nuts to suit sunraysia rims.

Found some good info on this thread, but not sure if it's the same for Sierra's as Jimny's...

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2483&p=18128&hilit=stud#p18128

Thanks, am a n00b at this stuff, so all help appreciated.
greyghost
Financial Member

Re: Jimny wheel stud upgrade...

Post by greyghost »

no need to upgrade, just a waist of money when you are talking tires that small
be dollars spent is buy a torque wrench, and every time you do up your wheel nuts TORQUE them up to the spec.

ive never had a wheel loosen off or broken a stud with the correctly torqued nuts
and on the plus side there are a heap of uses for a torque wrench, just treat it like the precision tool it is and it will out last you.
pirate4x4 wrote:So much hate, you guys never heard of QUADRANGULATION!? This is thinking outside the box, so outside you can not even see the box anymore :)
neofitou

Post by neofitou »

yep, no need to upgrade unless you have really thick alloy wheels that make the studs too short.
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Roger that, I'll just replace with stock studs.

Whilst I'm asking stupid questions about buying unnecessary kit should I get these?

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuki-o ... 3-kit.html

http://www.lowrangeoffroad.com/suzuki-o ... -only.html
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

No point buying them with a 22 spline inner in my opinion- that means the strength increase is limited to the material choice only, and I’d suggest that’s not enough.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
neofitou

Post by neofitou »

Correct, Tim you need to get the 26 spline version of the front axles to go with the 26 spline locker that I will eventually sort out.