Sports steering wheel for '84 sierra

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

birdseye

Sports steering wheel for '84 sierra

Post by birdseye »

Original steering wheel seems to be getting closer to my stomach?? Looking to replace it without something smaller to create more room...can anyone help with boss and wheel type that might work without loss of indicator stalk? thanks Birdseye
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Sports steering wheel for '84 sierra

Post by gwagensteve »

Autotechnica boss available from any autobarn/repco etc store and any aftermarket wheel you like. I used to run a suede wheel with about 25mm of dish. I have a problem with the wheel being too far from me when I'm sitting comfortably in a sierra.

I don't have a part number handy.

Alternatively you can use pretty much any non- airbag Suzuki wheel- baleno has more dish and is smaller diameter, swift gti works well. The gold standard is probably the cappuccino wheel which is a small diameter wheel similar to a MOMO aftermarket wheel under a crash pad.

Some factory wheels will require adjustment of the prongs that cancel the indicators. An aftermarket boss specifically for a sierra won't have this problem.

Be aware smaller wheels increase steering effort
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
birdseye

Post by birdseye »

Comprehensive and much appreciated advice...thanks Steve...the further away I can get the steering wheel the better. I'm 6'1" and a 100kg!! So the shallower the dish the better. I can't get the seat back any further because my suzie is a cab/tray. cheery Birdseye
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

All aftermarket wheels will sit closer to you regardless of wheel design due to the thickness of the mounting boss.

Using a seat with a slender back like a sparco sprint allows more room in the cabin.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
6eoffrey

Post by 6eoffrey »

I'll try to look from 4WheelOnline.
Lot of garage work needs to be done this weekend. Anyone here has experience installing a ReadyLift.