Tailshaft, too much grease not good.

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

stevend34

Tailshaft, too much grease not good.

Post by stevend34 »

Hi people,

I've heard it said that if you put too much grease into a tailshaft it puts too much pressure on diff and can cause issues.
I,Ve also heard it said that you should pump the grease through until it squirts out the spline.

These contradict as to get grease to squirt out you need to build up a good amount of pressure.

What's your thoughts on this?
jonfromhamilton

Re: Tailshaft, too much grease not good.

Post by jonfromhamilton »

Assuming you mean unis. And if there is a pathway to ambient then there will be pretty much no pressure.
The mechanical displacement of grease will cause zero wear its a non issue imo.

Just make sure the main lip on your seal faces inward towards the unijoint
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

No, Steve means the slip joint.

I wouldn't go crazy with the grease. In a sierra excessive grease will pop the cap out the end of the splined end.

I just wipe some grease on mine when I have my driveshafts apart.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
stevend34

Post by stevend34 »

Yeh slip joint. Ok thanks for that

What about on other cars, my cruiser for example, same deal?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Not sure/can't recall how what will happen if you over grease a cruiser shaft, but I can easily understand how its possible to "lock up" a driveshaft (preventing it plunging) and this will put large thrust loads on the pinion. If these loads overwhelm the preload from the crush sleeve, you'll loose preload.

It's an extreme/unlikely scenario and depends on there being lots of plunge as the suspension compresses, but it's possible.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
porter.8.luke

Post by porter.8.luke »

In the ag world we try to move the old contaminated grease out with the fresh as the shaft plung should move freely. The problem I have come across in when the splines fill with sand and old grease and wear the splines. So as a rule I pull back the rubber sheath and clean the goo off and give it a plunge to move the fresh stuff out. :?
Luke