5 speed conversion on lj81 ute.

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

fuzzychops

5 speed conversion on lj81 ute.

Post by fuzzychops »

I have a lj81 ute and have just been given a 1 litre gearbox fitted with a 5th gear I think from a Maruti, does anyone have any info on fitting it to the lj81 it was previously fitted to a 1 litre ute. The lj81 has a 1 litre motor which has just been rebuilt, also do you think it is a worthwhile conversion.
neofitou

Re: 5 speed conversion on lj81 ute.

Post by neofitou »

Ive not ever had an LJ, and I am sure a few of our members will know, but may not have seen this question.

obviously they should bolt together and if you already have a 1L geabox in there the tunnel would clear.
I belive the rear part of the gearbox is swapped with the 1.3L one so they are probably a little longer, you might need a custom jackshaft.

As for the question as to if it is worth it or not, I used to sit on ~130 in my 1L 4 speed at something like 6400 rpm.. I would have loved to have the 5th gear, but I suppose it depends on if you think you need it on the highway.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: 5 speed conversion on lj81 ute.

Post by gwagensteve »

I can't comment on the specifics of the conversion, but I can comment on the gearing. I'd be very surprised if an otherwise standard lj81 could pull an overdrive 5th gear.

In my opinion it's only a worthwhile modification if lower axle or transfer ratios had been fitted to improve off-road performance.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon