New RA suppention set up.

Anything related to 4WDs and 4WDing

Moderator: Committee

porter.8.luke

New RA suppention set up.

Post by porter.8.luke »

I'm currently working on the front radius arm links and have also been reading alot about RA setups. So i would like to see if i have something that will work.
For your concideration. The rear arms are over the housing and have a 3.5° inclination to the chassi. The fronts are under the housing and have a 2° inclination to the axle. The plan was to keep some waight (under power) on the front axle and keep the front from diving under braking.
The front RA are triangluated 16° from parallel and the rear arms are around 7.5° with a wats link. Let me know if I'm in the ball park of this working.
Cheers.
Luke
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: New RA suppention set up.

Post by gwagensteve »

Can you give me the separation at the chassis end and axle end front and rear?

-all sounds good but rear roll stiffness might be a bit higher than ideal.

How is your roll axis looking (front to rear)- this can be a bit of a struggle and can promote oversteer if the roll axis is positive at the rear (like a vitara) if you're running arms under the axle in the front that implies plenty of compression travel which will limit how high you can get the front roll centre.

Mine is very positive to the rear and it makes the back of the car fidgety at speed, but improves high angle stability and tyre clearance.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
porter.8.luke

Post by porter.8.luke »

You are a bad man.
Luke
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

greyghost
Financial Member

Post by greyghost »

ooh i want those for full time use in my rig, i'd even get rid of my Krawlers for a set :mrgreen:
pirate4x4 wrote:So much hate, you guys never heard of QUADRANGULATION!? This is thinking outside the box, so outside you can not even see the box anymore :)
lbzook
Financial Member

Post by lbzook »

Why do you do this to me!
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

greyghost wrote:ooh i want those for full time use in my rig, i'd even get rid of my Krawlers for a set :mrgreen:
It's crossed my mind. Finding rims to exploit the lightness is an issue. They'd also be less than ideal in winter without grooving.
greyghost
Financial Member

Post by greyghost »

yes its a pity Marsh stopped making those carbon fibre rims.
and currently i can't find anyone that makes deadlock rims in carbon fibre, i guess the speedway boys just destroy them too quick on the concrete wall.
pirate4x4 wrote:So much hate, you guys never heard of QUADRANGULATION!? This is thinking outside the box, so outside you can not even see the box anymore :)
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

It's a tough situation.

They really need a forged 15X5.5 with a beadlock like a BTR buggy rim or similar, but they're all wide 5 VW pattern (5 on 205mm). I've overlaid 5 on 5.5 over 5 on 205 and they don't really get along (I thought it might be possible to make an adapter.)

I've spent a while looking and I can't find a light 15X6 or similar rims.

There is a wide 5 speedway pattern which could be made to work with an adapter but I can't find the, under 15X8

Steve.