drill sharpener options

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

jonfromhamilton

drill sharpener options

Post by jonfromhamilton »

So my birthday is in a couple of months and i'm trying to decide what my wife will buy me with about a $200 budget.
I'm considering one of those circa $100 ones that uses a small diamond wheel but i would be open to something that would use a guided angle and a linisher etc.

I have wanted to get a combination grinder/linisher for a while and they run about $500 so if i could combine some sort of guide with a linisher (assuming changing the grit/belt) then that might be 2 birds with one stone.

I've spent a lot of money on drill bits for certain steels and it is worth me looking after them.

any suggestions would be awesome

Thanks
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: drill sharpener options

Post by gwagensteve »

I paid good money for a drill doctor a few years ago. $270?)

In short, you get an OK result some of the time. It’s time consuming and the quality of the result is very influenced by user technique. I should pull it out again and have a play with it, but in general the result is nowhere near as good as a new replacement drill bit.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
jonfromhamilton

Re: drill sharpener options

Post by jonfromhamilton »

I saw a few YouTube videos where they cut a v in a bit of plywood at 118 degrees to a grinding wheel and don't overheat the drill bit. Seems like an excuse to buy a grinder