Lj50

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

orangeshannon

Lj50

Post by orangeshannon »

Hey guys whats the going price for lj50 in good condition running sort top but no top but has doors and body has next to no rust
rmitchell
Site Admin

Re: Lj50

Post by rmitchell »

Going price would be what's on offer from FB Marketplace or Gumtree really. You can bargain down but run the risk of losing the LJ to someone else.
orangeshannon

Post by orangeshannon »

I got 2 lined up at the moment one ive seen the other i havent seen yet.
The one i sore has bugger all rust is a soft top runs and drive with the original 2 stroke and has the original doors but dont have the roof but has the poles and hes asking $2500.
This other one all i know is that its from the original owner and possibly has the roof and doors and everything and still regiestered not sure what they want for it but they also have a bunch of parts. Keen to see whic ones better as im going to end up with at least one of them if i had the money id buy both hahaha
greyghost
Financial Member

Post by greyghost »

grab them if you want then cause they will get snapped up quick

if rust worries you, you are looking at the wrong car, they all have rust.

the engine is the biggest issue, it is essentially un-rebuildable,
this is because almost no-one knows how to press the crank apart band back together again.
Rebuilding multi cylinder two strokes is a lost art, the out-board mechanics know how but its way too expensive.
I would rebuild one, but I'll never do it for someone, just way too many variables fore it to be viable.

and after driving at 80km/h for three hours, on the way to the xmas party trip.
I was glad that I wasn't driving a two-stroke, 80km/h in an LJ50 is max speed and driving for that long you are just asking to melt pistons.

so inn essence, if you find a good runner buy it, and then keep looking for another one, cause you'll need it too
pirate4x4 wrote:So much hate, you guys never heard of QUADRANGULATION!? This is thinking outside the box, so outside you can not even see the box anymore :)
orangeshannon

Post by orangeshannon »

I currently have 2 at the moment one has a datsun motor in it the other has the 3 stroke with it but not installed and unsure of the condition of the motor but its all there minus carby think it used to be a parts car has a good body but has a few things in bits.
But im 100% going to buy one of these 50s most likely next weekend its just a matter of which one going to look at both and decide which one i like better and the other one im going to help advertise it for the guy and try and find it a good home

I am expecting to be spending around $3000 for a decent one and going to be buying all of the spare parts they have as you can never have to many spare parts
greyghost
Financial Member

Post by greyghost »

if the engine has been sitting for any length of time open to the elements, its most likely in need of a rebuild.
the oil seals, between the cylinders will have dried out, and wont be able to hold the crankcase pressure properly.

the other thing that make me say this is that, these have always been a hard to find good running engine. and they were usually sold off (for good cash) or used.

a good LJ is getting closer to $5K, so if you can get it for $3K then id grab it
if you can get both LJ's, you should.

I would never own an LJ50 without having a good running spare motor, especially if you plan on using it
pirate4x4 wrote:So much hate, you guys never heard of QUADRANGULATION!? This is thinking outside the box, so outside you can not even see the box anymore :)
orangeshannon

Post by orangeshannon »

Thanks mate didnt think they would of been so temperamental but yeh if i can get a good runner thats all i want going to put on club reg and take it iut every so oftern. If i had the cash i would buy both but unfortunately i dont have that much to just go out and buy 2 of them i wish hahaha