holden cross 6 vs falcon rtv

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

luigi
Financial Member

holden cross 6 vs falcon rtv

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
Thinking of buying one of these cars. Holden one tonne cross 6. Ford Falcon rtv ute.
Both 2005 / 2006 make.
Anyone had experience with either of these oddities? :?:
The Falcon has a difflock. The Holden is awd.
Regards. Wayne.
steve125
Financial Member

Re: holden cross 6 vs falcon rtv

Post by steve125 »

I owned a '99 AU Falcon ute prior to my GV, was a pretty good car. I did look at an RTV when they came out, I believe the diff lock is unreliable (this info is 10 years out of date, they may have a fix for it).

A friend worked for Holden on the development of the AWD, said it was a good system, I haven't heard any bad reports about the mechanicals of and system.

Both cars are kind of average (typical Australian cars), not the best build quality, mostly reliable with the occasional big spend (mine needed new injectors at about 80,000km, was over $1,000), but parts everywhere.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I’d suggest the RTV. The falcon will be more economical, reliable and I’d suggest it will be cheaper to fix and have better parts availability. The Barra is a cracker of a motor and tough as nails. The cross6 is also enormous which makes them a bit of a pain, yet ironically they have a horrible back seat.

There’s just not enough cross6’s around to have good parts availability. I also believe they suffer from problematic rear driveline vibration. (Not that falcons are immune)

My fg xr6 turbo is getting under 11l/100km and I don’t drive it for economy. I reckon that’s pretty good an RTV should be similar. Also consider an auto RTV has an extra 200kg of tow capacity.

(As an aside, I really liked the idea of the old XG “outback” ute ford built a few of in the mid 90’s. Underbody protection, stone skirts protecting the rear axle, Donaldson air filter, bull bar, higher ride height and LSD. Quite an interesting bit of engineering.)
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Oh, another point- the cross6 uses a McPherson strut front end, which I’m not a huge fan of on heavy vehicles. The falcon is double wishbone. One of the advantages is tyre wear. My fg wears its front tyres perfectly evenly, while the McPherson strut front end on my VF commodore chops out the inside edges of the front tyres.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

Steve, I think Wayne is after the 2 door Holden tray back, a Cross 6 One Tonner, not the 4 door utility. These are very rare, but apart from the awd system, most of it is just everyday Commodore parts?
luigi
Financial Member

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
Yeah, the Holden is the one tonne tray.
I like the idea of an Aussie built car.
Love the Ford 6. Not unusual for that motor to get over 1 million Kms in taxis.
Both cars got good reviews when they were released ...in early 2000's. (carsguide)
Good examples of these cars seem to be bringing high prices.
Regards. Wayne.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I don't think I've ever come across a single cab tray back cross 6, there must be tiny numbers of them around.

I'd be concerned with the driveline complexity of the Cross 6 and the high humber of unique parts to that model, along the small volumes manufactured. It seems to be that there are significant wear items in that driveline that are going to be increasingly difficult to find going forward. I'd imagine that considering these cars are now ~15 years old there will be driveline work in the near future.

I've not driven one, the only comment I have is a friend of mine trialled one a paramedic first response vehicle, he found the steering heavy. Ambulance Victoria subsequently went with Ford Territories. (for better or worse considering the history of front ball joint failures they have)
luigi
Financial Member

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
Yeah. I reckon Steve is right. There are not many Holden cross 6 one tonners around. They are a constant awd, 36% drive to front wheels and 64% drive to the back wheels.( or something like that). So fuel consumption is high and lots of moving parts.
I might soon be the proud owner of a Falcon Rtv. 8-) They are a genuine one tonne ute, and good towing capacity.
Regards. Wayne.
steve125
Financial Member

Post by steve125 »

The awd Commodore tray back 2 door is incredibly rare, but most of it is regular commodore and the awd system is also found on the Crewman 4 door utes and the Adventure station wagon so not unobtainable.

But if you do want parts availability, then Falcon/Falcon utes are at every wrecker, though some of the RTV front end is not the same as the regular ute front end.