Current Jimny is no longer in production?

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

christover1
Financial Member

Current Jimny is no longer in production?

Post by christover1 »

https://cars.suzuki.co.uk/new-cars/jimn ... tR13MO8Epo

Unfortunately the current Jimny is no longer in production, so please contact your local Suzuki Dealer directly to check their new and used stock availability. The Suzuki Jimny will return at some point in the future, so follow us on our social channels to stay updated.

I did not find same info on Suzuki Aus
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Current Jimny is no longer in production?

Post by gwagensteve »

I think the current jimny doesn't meet Euro emission standards. I remember reading an article about this exact problem when the new jimny was launched in Europe - It was well known it wouldn't be for sale for long in its current form.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Damo

Post by Damo »

Bring on the update and I’ll put my money down
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

The update will likely entail a hybrid system at the very least and I don't think there's any way we'll see that - it will be too expensive to develop for a tiny market (there are basically no other comparable north south engined small cars to pinch the tech from or share development costs)

Google "Jimny C02/km" and you'll get a heap of information about the Euro emissions problem with the jimny - it emits almost twice as much C02/km as the fleet average permits. Suzuki can offset it's emissions by selling cars that emit <95g C02/km in order to get the average down, but the maths make it hard without selling a lot of zero emission cars, and I don't believe Suzuki have a zero emissions car, and don't really offer class leading fuel economy by European standards. 95g/km is really hard to achieve.

I think that in Euro markets, the positioning of the jimny as a relatively simple small utility vehicle will mean it's too hard/expensive to re-engineer as a hybrid or make it use 1/2 the fuel in does now (which is sort of the reality of the problem), and Suzuki will pull it from the market.

Remember, Suzuki is basically a manufacturer for the third world, where low cost and simplicity are critical and safety and emissions standards are lower than for the developed world. They have remained profitable by understanding and exploiting this, along with using licence production (Santana in Spain, Maruti in India) When they've tried to offer a more sophisticated product tailored for the developed market, things haven't gone well. (Kizashi, US market failure etc)
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon