Trailer Build

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

BZOOK

Trailer Build

Post by BZOOK »

Ok so my mate has a wide variety of steel angle, box section and C section that I have available to me. I am considering building a trailer to tow my Sierra to the tracks. Given the years of experience here, what would the ultimate Sierra car carrier look like? What would be the best steel to make it out of. What size, single or double axle, beaver tail etc etc.
Thankyou in advance.
Brenton
christover1
Financial Member

Re: Trailer Build

Post by christover1 »

Drive over wheel arches can help keep trailer narrower and lighter.
With just enough room each side of guards to fit your tyres/rims.
Can help keep it all lower for stability, too.
Not sure if this is possible with a Shorty on a Dual axle type.
Duals are nicer to tow, but can be a bitch in tight turning/reversing situations.
More tech able responses will have to be from others :O :mrgreen:
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

Thanks Chris. A few good points there.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Have a chat to Greg and Jon D, they’re building/have built compact trailers for their Sierras.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

Ok. So I have a set of Vitara free wheeling hubs. Can I bolt the spindle to a bracket attached to steel tube to make a light trailer axle!?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Yes, although there is a bit of work required- the spindle has a boss on the base that needs to seat into the axle flange. It might be easiest to get the spindle mount flanges laser cut or made by a machine shop.

This is how I was going to build a car trailer.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

gwagensteve wrote: Thu 24 Oct, 2019 5:09 pm Yes, although there is a bit of work required- the spindle has a boss on the base that needs to seat into the axle flange. It might be easiest to get the spindle mount flanges laser cut or made by a machine shop.

This is how I was going to build a car trailer.
Ok got it. What's wrong with a massive hole Saw! :roll: Thanks Steve. How nice it would be to have a decent lathe and mill!! At least I can take it to a shop and let em at it. I'm just being cheap.
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

you would be amazed at how cheap laser cutting is if you can provide them a CAD file of the part you need.

I recently had a bunch of small brackets cut out of 10mm steel for $10ea with them supplying the material - usually works out cheaper than time/cutting discs/hole saws/material and is very accurate.

If you go the vitara spindle path be mindful you will still need a way of running brakes and the bearings are probably undersized if you were to want single axle.

My trailer axle is from a Renault Master Van - the complete setup with the parabolic leaf springs/brakes etc was about $150 from the wreckers, I think they thought it was from the back of a FWD car. It's 2200kg rated and the bearings are massive. The brake caliper piston is the same size as generic trailer stuff so works fine with override brakes. The only issue is the stud pattern is a bit less common 5x130 which is the same as a Cayenne/Touareg/Q7. I picked up a set of 3 Audi q7 wheel with kerb rash for $50.
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

Thanks for the info Jono. $10 is very cheap. I've got a few ideas in my head with a couple of different trailer options. I'll definitely add the Renault to the list as well. Thanks again.
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

what CAD software Jon?