Tailgate net

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

BZOOK

Tailgate net

Post by BZOOK »

Morning. I was behind a mint Datsun 1200 ute last night and he had a tailgate net. Anyone used one. Are they legal. Surely and good weight saving option
Covercraft PN001 ProNet Tailgate Net, Blue https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B0002Z9LU8 ... QCbY5RBMZD
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Tailgate net

Post by gwagensteve »

The stock tailgate is pretty light.

Having small parts fall out the back of the car is a pain. The tailgate also ties the two sides of the tub together and the bottom corners of the tub can fatigue and crack if they're not braced but the gate.

These net tailgates were an 80's/90's SoCal fad after desert prerunners started running them for weight and perceived aerodynamic reasons (which were later debunked- prerunners need all the rearwards weight distribution they can get)

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

Looked pretty cool on the old 1200. Don't see any on the road. All valid points. Thanks.
Brenton
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Agreed - I can't say I've ever seen one locally.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

This was in Doncaster. A young bloke. Fat rear tyres.
It had fender mounted side mirrors that I initially thought would look very cool on the Sierra bit of a trap for branches on the trail for surr. My mechanic has one that he is planning to rebuild. Doubt I'd fit in the cab!!