Swift steering wheel

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

Crazy Sierra

Swift steering wheel

Post by Crazy Sierra »

Hey guys, has anyone put a late model steering wheel into a Sierra ?

Cheers ;)
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Swift steering wheel

Post by gwagensteve »

Well it wouldn’t be too late model as it would have an airbag..

All common suzuki wheels (cappuccino, baleno, swift, vitara) will fit a Sierra, although some don’t have the pins to cancel the indicators in the right spot.

I’ve personally fitted all of the above to sierras.

They will all bring the wheel closer to the driver, which in my opinion helps ergonomics significantly.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Crazy Sierra

Post by Crazy Sierra »

gwagensteve wrote: Thu 22 Nov, 2018 8:09 am Well it wouldn’t be too late model as it would have an airbag..

All common suzuki wheels (cappuccino, baleno, swift, vitara) will fit a Sierra, although some don’t have the pins to cancel the indicators in the right spot.

I’ve personally fitted all of the above to sierras.

They will all bring the wheel closer to the driver, which in my opinion helps ergonomics significantly.
yea I know what your saying, I’ve always had a aftermarket wheel on my Sierra, but due to getting a RWC and Engineered shortly I’ve had to chase up a Sierra wheel but it’s very big and far away if that makes sense, it does feel good not having to turn indicators off manually tho lol

Did any New Swift models such as the base models not have air bags ? There is a few on eBay and was just thinking how nice it would be to have a fancy steering wheel lol
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

im thinking of getting an ebay steering wheel now that my power steer is nearly set up.
Crazy Sierra

Post by Crazy Sierra »

jonfromhamilton wrote: Thu 22 Nov, 2018 10:35 am im thinking of getting an ebay steering wheel now that my power steer is nearly set up.
I just messaged a wrecker from eBay that is selling a new swift steering wheel, No Air bag as well, but it has the stereo buttons, but if you have a new fancy head unit in your zook you can get them buttons connected so they can be used or I did see a steering wheel with out buttons that looks pretty good

The only thing is if they are the same spline or not ... but being suzuki they should be all one fit yea
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

No, no guarantee the splines will match at all- case in point- ford used a pretty universal spline for many years but the FG falcon uses a square drive.

The stereo buttons will be fed via a clockspring which will sit behind the wheel, between the wheel and the column. There’s no provision for that on a Sierra, so that’s quite a bit of work to fit one in order to avoid having to reach for the stereo, and clocksprings are easily damaged.

Why did you have to remove the aftermarket wheel you had fitted? They are generally legal if they’re over 350mm diameter and don’t obscure the instruments.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
Crazy Sierra

Post by Crazy Sierra »

gwagensteve wrote: Thu 22 Nov, 2018 12:54 pm No, no guarantee the splines will match at all- case in point- ford used a pretty universal spline for many years but the FG falcon uses a square drive.

The stereo buttons will be fed via a clockspring which will sit behind the wheel, between the wheel and the column. There’s no provision for that on a Sierra, so that’s quite a bit of work to fit one in order to avoid having to reach for the stereo, and clocksprings are easily damaged.

Why did you have to remove the aftermarket wheel you had fitted? They are generally legal if they’re over 350mm diameter and don’t obscure the instruments.
Yea I thought it might be a bit of a reach for the stereo buttons but I know someone that worked at SSV(street sound and vision) and managed it so if any thing he would be able to sort me out in that department ... the aftermarket wheel was an Autotechnica one and didn’t have padding in the Center so it isn’t road worthy

But there is a steering wheel on eBay from a swift with nothing on it so it’s just a plain wheel
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

My point was fitting a clockspring is a lot of work just to avoid having to reach for the stereo in the dashboard. It’s hardly a chore.

I’d go and see Mick and Suziworld to compare some older and newer wheels to see what’s compatible.
Crazy Sierra

Post by Crazy Sierra »

gwagensteve wrote: Thu 22 Nov, 2018 1:56 pm My point was fitting a clockspring is a lot of work just to avoid having to reach for the stereo in the dashboard. It’s hardly a chore.

I’d go and see Mick and Suziworld to compare some older and newer wheels to see what’s compatible.
Hahahaha My Sierra has been at micks for half a year now getting the GTI conversion sorted out lol

I can make do with out the fancy buttons anyways, but what’s your opinion on a Jimny steering wheel then ? Surely that would be the same spline right ?
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Non airbag Jimny should work- everything else of that age does.