Battery/alternator and brake dash lights on

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

Dougie

Battery/alternator and brake dash lights on

Post by Dougie »

So dose anyone no what Could be wrong? Both my alternator ( battery) and brake dash lights are on. ( just to clarify, “brake”, not “park brake”, dash light)

Stock 1985 ute.

So this has happened after I upgraded my stock alternator to a new 60 amper. (from a Vitara I think) plane bolt in to original mounting brackets and wiring harness, The only thing I altered was the battery to alternator wire, I disconnected the original wire and upgraded it to a 100 amp rated with fuse and all that, New belt ect

I flushed my brake fluid and bled the lines, had a mechanic mate help me, so can’t understand what I could have done wrong with the brakes, stops on a dime now, no more spongy break pedal.

And I replaced the clutch, so I had a few things disconnected when transmission was out, don’t see what it could have to do with the dash lights though.

Alternator checks So far... I have disconnected the neg battery lead while the engine is running and it doesn’t stall, (apparently this test if the alternator is faulty),

Also if I disconnect the new alternator battery wire and put a volt meter on it, start the engine, I get no power from the alternator, then give it a rev to excite the alternator and I get about 15.6 volts,
With alternator connected to battery, same thing start engine get 14.5 volts across battery, disconnect alternator while engine still running get 13 volts across battery.

Also tried connecting both new and old alternator to battery wires at the same time, dash lights still stays on.

So at far as I can tell the alternator is ok, car seems to be running fine.

Can’t even find a fuseable link, (not sure what it looks like, if there even is one) and i would of thought that Ive bypassed this with the new alternator to battery wire.

All fuses under dash ok,

No idea why my brake light is on.

Keen to solve problems before warranty runs out on alternator,

Any ideas?
neofitou

Re: Battery/alternator and brake dash lights on

Post by neofitou »

when you flushed the brake fluid did the float sensor get stuck at the bottom?
Dougie

Post by Dougie »

Float Seems to move freely, also swapped it out with a spare rubber Reservoir cap that I had, no difference,
Dougie

Post by Dougie »

Problem soloved, new alternator has 3 termnals two ignition and 1 to dash light, standard wiring harness plug only has 1 igniting terminal and the dash light wire, so just had to jump the ignition between the two terminals. Brake dash light fault also disappeared.