New Used 4x4

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

BZOOK

New Used 4x4

Post by BZOOK »

Hello everyone. Keen to get some tips/advice/recommendations. I own a 2003 Ford Fairmont Ghia that has served my wife and 3 pre teen kids well. It's starting to have some issues and I've decided to look for a 7 seat 4x4 to replace it. Plan is to have something that will fit us all comfortably and have offroad capabilities. Nothing OTT. Budget wise I'm considering 2 options. Look to spend say 5k change over or stretch the mortgage and get something around 15k change over. Id love the freedom to be able to hook up a car trailer and pull the zook too. Chirstover has been very helpful on the Pajero front and for my 5k budget option I'd say that is my preference. An xl7 a close second. Now for the 15k option I'm keen on a cruiser or a pootrol. Prefer petrol for no real reason than I can get my head around a petrol engine. Any words of wisdom out there.
Thanks.
Brenton.
jono165
Financial Member

Re: New Used 4x4

Post by jono165 »

This is a challenging one. I think I'd rule out the XL7 if you plan to tow a sierra with it, I think it will be too underpowered and right at its limit, your current falcon would be better towing it.

A Pajero is probably the best value option, there's not heaps around with 7 seats. If its to daily drive I'd be inclined to spend more and get something newer and hopefully more reliable. You'll always have little things that need attention on an older car so the cost of maintenance can be high.

Might be also worth looking at a Toyota Prado as well, they're a bit more size friendly around town and less likely to have been used hard. It might be hard to find something clean at the lower end of the patrol/landcruiser market - most of these have done alot of kms now.

My cousin has just bought a 105 series cruiser with the 1HZ motor and aftermarket turbo kit, 2" lift, drawers etc for $20k with 195,000 on it which is pretty clean so there are options out there. Diesels get pretty complex once you go to common rail motors but the older ones aren't too difficult to get your head around.
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

Thanks Jono. The cruisers, patrols and prado's certainly command higher prices. I've always wanted an 80 series cruiser so that's where my heart is. Some nice 100 series with high 200's around. I've seen some bad reports for the newer pajeros. I don't mind the prados.
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

Most of the 80 series around are starting to get a bit long in the tooth. Most of the petrol ones seem to have spend alot of their life on gas, and there were a few for sale that had questionably rebuilt motors. If you're looking at an 80 series as closer to the 5k option, you'll probably end up spending a large portion of that again to freshen it up. I did look into them before I ended up buying an XJ cherokee as a cheap run around car.

The seven seat requirement is probably the most limiting requirement. If this was negotiable, would you consider a mitsubishi challenger?
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

Ah the Jeep. Like the look of em. If I opt for a 5 seater then I do like the challenger and the jeeps. I had to deal with travelling in the back of a gemini in 40 degree weather, vinyl seats and no AC.aa a kid. How's the xj been? You can see I'm jumping between options a lot. Will need to make a decision at some stage :D
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

The jeep has been fine. Its had a couple of little things I've fixed but been pretty good so far. The straight 6 is pretty torquey to drive as they're a light car otherwise.

It took me months to find one worth buying. It was $2500 with 10months rego and I got my own roadworthy. They're cheap. I was just really specific with what I wanted. 97-99, petrol auto, sport model.

Parts are so insanely cheap in the states and postage is reasonable.
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

I'm a big fan of bleepin jeep and enjoy all that they do with the late 90's Cherokees. If I went with something like what you have I'd have enough coin to get a car trailer. So much to think about. Appreciate you taking the time Jono.
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

No worries, one thing with jeep, if you have kids that are still growing is they aren't a terribly big car and they will run hot if the cooling system isn't 100%

They are probably equivalent in size to a current Rav4 or something. They're much smaller than a landcruiser. The spare tyre in the back is a pain too, I plan on eventually making a rear tyre carrier before our dog gets too big, but ive too many other projects at the moment.
neofitou

Post by neofitou »

heaps of Pajeros have the 7 seats, the newer ones are hidden under the rear floor thats why you dont see them as much anymore.
Damo

Post by Damo »

Hi All
The challenger was also available in a 7 seater but be warned the earlier model pb and some pc models had cooling issues and many had engine replacements under warranty.Autos are very heavy on fuel,manuals are much better.Towing is 3 ton braked from memory.Cant fault mine as yet but it is still relatively new I suppose.The Pajero club forum is a great spot for info on the Mitsi brand if your keen.i don't know anything about the older challengers but there is heaps of info on the forum.i noticed a pb or pc at car shitty in Ringwood when I drove past earlier this week.They sell quickly and and can be hard to find a tidy one,especially if it's been owned by a hack like me😁