89 Sierra with a Vitara Engine (and blown driveshaft…) Some help/ advice please?

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

Dellanator

89 Sierra with a Vitara Engine (and blown driveshaft…) Some help/ advice please?

Post by Dellanator »

Hey all

I recently picked up a cheap 89 Sierra with a Vitara engine that’s got a shattered driveshaft that needs replacing. Im a bit of a mechanic novice, so was after some advice on a few things while I make a plan to sort it all out.
1) Does anyone one know by sight how to tell what model the vitara engine is and/or how to ID this/ where to look to confirm?

2) Can anyone tell me how to tell by looking at it if its a Sierra or Vitara gearbox that’s in there currently? (I beleive that there would have to be some obvious mods to the chassis if a Vitara box was fitted but Im not sure what to look at/ for?

3) Could the Vitara v6 engine working with the Sierra box have caused the drive shaft failure? As in, the engine being too powerful for the box? The seller told me that it had been in there for a year or so with no issues up to the big bang point

4) If (3) could be the case, is it possible/ what would roughly be involved in fitting a Vitara gearbox/ drive shaft to the Sierra- other running gear that would need changing/ modifying chasis/ mounts etc? Or is there other, simplier mods (different clutch etc) that could be done to strengthen up the box and avoid big bang #2?

Cheers in advance for any advice anyone could help out with!