shutting down yahoo, now way off topic with Mock

Anyone can post your questions or comments here.

Moderator: Committee

muppet_man67

Re: shutting down yahoo

Post by muppet_man67 »

Just my opinion. when was the last time anyone searched the yahoo site for tech? Anything Vitara related will be stored safely away in CJ's head im sure. Anything Sierra related Steve will know, and Mitch can answer tech questions about Jimny's.
droopypete

Post by droopypete »

Another thing that may jeopardise PHP's success is the financial members section here, as I am not financial at the moment I cant say what is being posted "behind the green door" but it should be left to only things pertinent and privileged to the Suzuki 4X4 Club and its members, no chit chat, tech, trip reports, gossip or hanging shit on Graham, it is this content that makes Yahoo a great place visit, we need to keep PHP as attractive as possible (yes even Graham is attractive :o ) my 2 bob
Peter.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

droopypete wrote:Another thing that may jeopardise PHP's success is the financial members section here, as I am not financial at the moment I cant say what is being posted "behind the green door" but it should be left to only things pertinent and privileged to the Suzuki 4X4 Club and its members, no chit chat, tech, trip reports, gossip or hanging shit on Graham, it is this content that makes Yahoo a great place visit, we need to keep PHP as attractive as possible (yes even Graham is attractive :o ) my 2 bob
Peter.
Yes for success, moderatorship is extremely important.
Keeping the masses nice is an integral part of the job.
People don't respond to flaming, and they do to non pushy tech.
Keep it interesting, easy to use and friendly is very important.
It also needs to be "sold" or advertised.
Get us all to put a link to here in our sig lines on other forums.
That was one of yahoos very sucessful events.
Outers is for Graham bashing :mrgreen:
christover
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

droopypete wrote:Another thing that may jeopardise PHP's success is the financial members section here, as I am not financial at the moment I cant say what is being posted "behind the green door" but it should be left to only things pertinent and privileged to the Suzuki 4X4 Club and its members, no chit chat, tech, trip reports, gossip or hanging shit on Graham, it is this content that makes Yahoo a great place visit, we need to keep PHP as attractive as possible (yes even Graham is attractive :o ) my 2 bob
Peter.
I don't agree, I think we need to keep trip reports in the members section. We should make an 'Upcoming Trips & Events' section so the public can see what we will be doing, but keep any photos of trips and info on tracks we did in the members area. Obviously no one in the club would knowingly use a closed track, but I'm sure I'm not the only one in the club who has driven a track to find that when you reach the other end it has a sign or gate that was not at the start, or even driven a track that has no sign or gate because some redneck ripped them out, only finding out weeks later that it was closed.
cj!

Post by cj! »

There are a couple of reasons that we are trying out the idea of a "Financial Members Only" section to the forum. We are trying to find ways to add value to "Our Members". By joining the Club you gain access to more information. Also there have been issues on some Forums where people have had there cars targeted by those who may not be as understanding of some of the mods that have been made to them. This way we can discuss our builds and show pics of them with a reduced risk of unwanted attention. Also by having our trips section in this area too we can also discuss track names and post photos of the trip, again without the unwanted attention that sometimes occurs. I understand that this may not appeal to everybody but it is something that we are doing for now. The simple fact of the matter is that all Club Members will have access to this area so they are not missing out and this forum is designed primarily for Club Members. The General Public area still allows anybody to ask questions related to tech or any other subject if they want to and Members can still post in it if they want to. The Club Magazine will be made available so anybody can see what we are up to in the way of events. It is understood that the Forum is way for prospective members to learn more about us and that can still happen. This is new tool for the Club and it will be a work in progress as things are fine tuned and finalised. For those who have not yet renewed their memberships and would like access to the members section you can organise to pay your fees via direct deposit now also. Please contact Sam at treasurer@vic.suzuki4wd.com
Webmaster
Site Admin

Post by Webmaster »

I agree with cj. This is the same path that other clubs LR Vic and Suzuki NSW have gone down to give members value-add.

There will be a calendar on the new front end that is public to show the public/potential members, what is coming up, so not all is hidden. If members decide to take the time to write articles or trip reports, those that are financial will have the privlidge reading them. Last I look 4WD monthly et al, were not free, neither is club membership, so along the lines of why shouldn't it be open to everyone, someone should ask pat if they can get their 4WD monthly for free. These new facilities will help with building the club and has a suzuki focus that will help club members.

For what members have access to/information able to be obtained from other members, $60 AUD a year is not a big ask, cheaper than a slab of burbon.

Jase :D

P.S. The colours of the forum may change over the next couple of days, it will all stay the same, just colours will change.
sierrajim

Post by sierrajim »

I know there's a lot of history in the archives, however is there enough useful tech to worry about?

A vast majority of discussions have been about trips, not much about building or tech stuff.

Perhaps an easier to remember and find domain such as http://www.viczook.com ??
droopypete

Post by droopypete »

Matthew wrote:I don't agree, I think we need to keep trip reports in the members section.

I believe it is the discussion leading up to a trip, (dozens of posts in the case of the snow trip) that create interest in what is going on in the club, then the postmortem of the trip, (he got stuck/she fell over/ he saved the day/he was an idiot with a lamp shade on his head :) ) all of this discussion (by members and non members) shows the outside world (where new members come from) that we are an active club, full of fun, like minded people and would be well worth a look if they were interested in joining a club, take away these posts and we will look pretty boring.

Take Adventure Tour for example, without the discussions that have taken place on the group site (public access) regarding vehicle preparation, logistics, can I borrow this/does anyone have a spare that and trip reports of all the carnage and heroism that took place, no one would know about it outside the club, but because of all that public discussion, we are famous for this trip and I am sure it has helped with our reputation as "serious" four wheel drivers.
Peter.
droopypete

Post by droopypete »

Matthew wrote: Obviously no one in the club would knowingly use a closed track,

Not if they wanted to stay in the club, and the yahoo group site has been going for over 6 years and I can't recall having a problem with this in the past, (we will also have mods with delete buttons at the ready if anyone acts up)
Peter.
droopypete

Post by droopypete »

Woo Hoo, our first 3 page topic :D
Peter.