Night Drive - Now Cancelled - See Toolangi Day Drive

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Greg

Night Drive - Now Cancelled - See Toolangi Day Drive

Post by Greg »

Proposed Night Drive - "Spirit Breaker"

When: Night of Sat 30th May 2009
Where: To be decided upon closer to the date.
Standard: Medium
Description: The Spirit Breaker has traditionally been a night drive held on the last Saturday before Queens Birthday weekend. This gives us the best chance of seeing some moisture on the tracks. It typically involves running hard tracks in the dark, and will normally result in a 2am trail fix, and maybe even a 5am breakfast somewhere.

It is suggested that you organise your spousal late pass well in advance to avoid a Sunday of house chores.

Previous years this event has been held in Toolangi (cockpit/blowhard/sams hut/vic range/rocky/glenburn). Due to fires, logging, water pipes etc, these are less available. If you have other ideas for where to go - please let me know.
Last edited by Greg on Tue 19 May, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
cj!

Re: Night Drive - 30-May-2009

Post by cj! »

Chapel Street :mrgreen:
zookstir

Post by zookstir »

Greg wrote:and will normally result in a 2am trail fix,
Does this mean:-
A. Some obscure trail (ahem...track) will need to be fixed at 2am.
B. Someones junk will "fail to proceed" on a track at 2am and will have to be fixed.
C. There's a junkie coming who needs a "fix" at 2am.
:lol:
greyghost
Financial Member

Post by greyghost »

i'm all for this.

i'll be there
pirate4x4 wrote:So much hate, you guys never heard of QUADRANGULATION!? This is thinking outside the box, so outside you can not even see the box anymore :)
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Generally B, but we've seen A and C from time to time :D

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
porter.8.luke

Post by porter.8.luke »

Cheers greg
Is thear a extreme truck rating for the trip?
or dont mind draginga near standard allong? :oops:
Luke
Greg

Post by Greg »

Umm, I think we might come up with an official standard once we know where we stand regarding track availability...

i.e. if we only have access to Wombat - then the standard would be far less than if we have access to Toolangi.

I'll try to find out before the next meeting.
porter.8.luke

Post by porter.8.luke »

No prob ill see what i cen do in the mean time!
case gears on the way :)
Luke
Greg

Post by Greg »

Ok - it's now become official that i cannot make the 30th...

So we have 2 options:

1. Someone else runs the trip on Saturday 30th... or
2. We re-schedule to Saturday 23rd May...

Since we are still quite a way off, I'll let the board decide which way to go...

I still haven't confirmed that anything / anywhere is open, so absolute worse case, I would be taking us to Wombat, with a $50.00 fish and chip dinner to start things off.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Update on this trip:

At last night's meeting, although verbal interest was good, confirmed interest in the form of written notice was next to nil.

A reminder that the trip is scheduled on Saturday May 23rd. It will be held in Wombat state forest, with a meeting time of 8pm in Gisborne township.

At this point I have myself and one other "possible" attendee. I don't think this warrants running the trip.

I think there are two options:

1. We make the time a bit earlier. i.e. meet in Gisborne at 6pm for food, 7pm departure.
2. We postpone the trip until there are more exciting tracks available (i.e. November after Cup weekend).

If we continue with Option 1 (still run the trip), please also note that the Wombat location means that the trip rating will be more easy-medium (mostly medium) rather than medium-hard. i.e. a stock sierra with mud tyres would survive.

Anyways, if you are planning on coming along, please speak up, otherwise i will lock it up for another time.

Cheers,
Greg