Snow Trip 13th and 14th of August 2021

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

richplezo

Re: Snow Trip 13th and 14th of August

Post by richplezo »

Confirmation
Richard P + 1 ( Willy or Alfie Pleasance)
Suzuki Sierra high top - 3013H9
Camping trip.
Nugget

Post by Nugget »

Hoping to get the Jimny sorted for the snow trip with a major service and by installing:

-Transfer case reduction gear set & pinion spacer
-Front ARB locker (already have the rear & compressor fitted)

I have all the parts.
I usually get work done by Mick & Ian at Suziworld, but they've been booked out solid for a while, and now to compound things Ian is off work. Mick is unsure if he'll get it done before the trip. I've called a few local 4x4 mechanics, but they're all in the same boat.
Any recommendations or advice appreciated.
Jonno

Post by Jonno »

Hey Nugget,

Maybe Leigh in the club could help get that done at short notice? I will ask him to check in here and see
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

Hi Jonno

Do we have our permits issued yet? Lets hope this 7 day lockdown is not extended.

Mike
2009 Manual Jimny
Greg

Post by Greg »

Good Morning Snow Day Trippers,

Update:
7 day lockdown - we won't find out until Friday 12th if lockdown is ending - grrr!
Jonno is contacting 4wdvic to see if the camping trip can fall back to the following weekend
Fel and I checked accommodations in Jamison for following weekend - nothing was available (may imply all permits are full - tbc)

Decision Dates:
Our accommodation lets us cancel as late as Thursday with no charge. So I need to decide on Thursday. Before the lockdown ends.

Next Actions:
Wait and see how Jonno goes with permit application
Wait and see how many more cases we get this week - try to predict end of lockdown vs extension
Please check your own accomodation vs cancellation dates - I won't be offended if you need to cancel earlier
Please consider alternate dates - this might be the clever call - move 3 weeks perhaps... could be another lockdown I guess.
Please consider alternate trip leaders (if I cancel on Thursday, and the trip goes ahead - we need a fall back)

Thanks,
Greg
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

Hi Greg

I can cancel my accommodation if the lockdown is extended to 14 days which is sort of looking likely but lets see. Sorry my car is too small to become the trip leader although I can lead from the rear. If we do not go ahead on the planned weekend my next availability is 28 August pending the availability of accommodation. Did we get our permits approved?

Mke
2009 Manual Jimny
Jonno

Post by Jonno »

Hi day trippers,

The crusty campers have decided to apply for a backup permit for 1 week later, due to restrictions scheduled until at least Thursday with the original trip planned to commence Thursday morning. The backup permit has now been approved.

I believe the plan is to wait and see how things go this week and possibly head up Friday if we are allowed to, otherwise push back to next week.
Luke Porter can confirm specifics and provide further info as trip leader

If the day trippers would like a permit for another date, just let me know and I will submit it.
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

Well looking at the figures today there is pretty much no chance that Melbourne wil be out of lockdown on Friday so I am going to cancel my accommodation. If there is a miracle I will make a day trip on Saturday or look for any other accommdation that might be available.

How many of the day trippers live in Regional Victoria? Are there enough to make up a convoy? There needs to be a minimum of three vehicles I think. Possible conversation for the Zoom meeting tomorrow night.
2009 Manual Jimny
stevend34

Post by stevend34 »

Jonno wrote: Mon 09 Aug, 2021 10:24 am Hi day trippers,

The crusty campers have decided to apply for a backup permit for 1 week later, due to restrictions scheduled until at least Thursday with the original trip planned to commence Thursday morning. The backup permit has now been approved.

I believe the plan is to wait and see how things go this week and possibly head up Friday if we are allowed to, otherwise push back to next week.
Luke Porter can confirm specifics and provide further info as trip leader

If the day trippers would like a permit for another date, just let me know and I will submit it.
Hi Jono, Greg's call, however if he can't lead I'm happy to (in saying 'lead' it will be more like organize the group as I'll be last in the convoy as i'll be in the cruiser). Therefore, i say yes lets get a backup permit for 21st for this group also if its not too late. That's the same date as your backup permit yeah? These permits don't cost anything do they?
kel00

Post by kel00 »

Hi all, we are coming from regional Vic so still keen to attend :D