20th March- Technical day Steve’s shed, Kinglake

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

20th March- Technical day Steve’s shed, Kinglake

Post by gwagensteve »

Tech Day at my shed in Kinglake, 20 March.

I've been doing these tech days for a few years now, and they've been pretty popular.

The format of the day is pretty loose, and mostly driven by what people want to cover. Obviously I have quite a lot of Suzuki stuff, tools, and experience, but these days are really about kicking ideas around, investigating, and learning. It might be that you learn how to wire a relay, what's inside a transfer case, pick up some basic fab skills, or have a good look under someone else's car that's built a bit differently to yours.

It will kick off around 9.00am on Saturday morning. As there isn't a formal structure, it's no big deal if you turn up late/leave early/whatever. The more the merrier. What we discuss and spend time on will all be about what people think is relevant and who has questions. There's no obvious end time.

Basically, the whole day depends on what people want to learn/discuss. If nobody asks a question it would be a pretty boring day of me rambling about esoteric suspension behaviour. You can prevent this. :lol:

Don't be afraid of asking having (what you might think) is a really basic topic to raise. Everyone has a different experience level.
Don't be afraid to stop the discussion to get something explained.
Don't be afraid to bring something to demonstrate, or an idea, or a tool, even if you're unsure how to use it.
PLEASE don't hover around until 9.00pm to ask your question in the hope it will get covered. Fire away, interrupt!

Bring a topic you want to discuss, bring your car, bring you new cool tyre you want to fit, bring a chair, clothes for any weather, and your lunch.
Consider you might get dirty if you're lying under a car or something.

We’ll most likely get some pizza for dinner. So bring some cash to cover that- $15 or so.

I f you're staying and wish to bring adult beverages for the evening, that's fine. It's not a driving trip.

If people want to roll out the swag/pitch a tent they’re welcome rather than drive home late.

Please let me know if you’re keen to come and/or if you’re planing to stay.

Please chime in with ideas you’d like to discuss.

If people are interested in a night drive in Toolangi or a day trip the next day, my place is an excellent starting point - it's 10 minutes from marginal road/rocky track.

Now, as discussed at the meeting, I have one rule for tech day - we don't fit parts or work on people's cars other than fun and diagnosis. this is so everyone can get something out of the day, not 1 guy gets a suspension kit fitted and everyone else stands around while we try and get rusty bolts undone. by all means bring the parts, we can talk it through, but this is a teach a man to fish exercise, not free labour.

So far we have:

Mitch: WWII Jeeps and CV disassembly
Cohen: Swaybars and fire extinguishers
Brenton: G series engine coolant flow, bypass heater tap configuration and engine swaps once every G16B in the world has cracked :D
Leigh: HP D44 vs Vitara comparison
Joshyboy: What does joshyboy take on a day trip + 20V rides
SteveD: Valve clearances

I think I heard that Wayne will bring his TIG up (?)

Other relevant things - please pipe up if you're interested in any of this stuff:

Recovery point/design/ installation/ "rating"
"new age" recovery equipment (plasma rope, endless slings, soft shackles etc)
What do you take on a trip (recovery gear, tools, spares etc)
Reseating tyres/ breaking beads
Fabrication tips and tricks
Why are factory service manuals so good

We had quite a few hands up from the new member/new jimny contingent, and I love to see one up at the shed - anything we should cover on them?

Things that always come up at some point:

How to fit X size tyre to my car
why does my car ride so badly
then lots of suspension fabrication/geometry/troubleshooting stuff.

Hit me with your ideas!
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
BZOOK

Re: 20th March- technical day Steve’s shed, Kinglake

Post by BZOOK »

I'll be there. Keen to swap my g16b for a 24 valve P-pump Cummins!! NOT.
Cohengoo
Site Admin

Post by Cohengoo »

I'm definitely keen!
i would be interested in chatting about sway bars and their potential benefits. :)
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Good topic Cohen. Roll stiffness and the relationship between roll stiffness, roll centre, stability, balance and wheel travel is definitely worth discussing, and swaybars are definitely part of that.

I think we will do a primer on these terms too- roll centre, roll axis, roll stiffness, instant centre, anti dive/anti squat. Some of these are user adjustable, even with leaf suspension. It’s also useful to understand this stuff when, for instance, you’re lifting a vehicle like a Jimny.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

Vitara g16b coolant flow and cracked heads when swapped into a Sierra. There's a great write-up from you Steve on auszookers regarding this. I have purchased a bypass tap. Perhaps we can look at this and do some real world tests pre and post install? Perhaps a good discussion point and if we had time.

What are some good engine swaps given how old g16bs are becoming.
greyghost
Financial Member

Post by greyghost »

Definitely in for this. and staying of course

Steve, I could bring a military CV, and show how to get them apart and back together, they aren't that different to the Sierra CV
that is if people are interested??

Mitch
pirate4x4 wrote:So much hate, you guys never heard of QUADRANGULATION!? This is thinking outside the box, so outside you can not even see the box anymore :)
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Sure. Interesting stuff.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Good stuff Brenton.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: 20th March- Technical day Steve’s shed, Kinglake

Post by gwagensteve »

Edited original post.

I'll add ideas and attendees to the first post.
Cohengoo
Site Admin

Re: 20th March- Technical day Steve’s shed, Kinglake

Post by Cohengoo »

Sounds great!