Tech Day, 1st/2nd Feb **CANCELLED for now**

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Tech Day, 1st/2nd Feb **CANCELLED for now**

Post by gwagensteve »

Hi all

I'll be holding my annualish tech day in my shed in Kinglake.

Come up whenever suits on Saturday. We'll kick off around 9-9.30 or whenever a couple of people have arrived.

I have lots of suzuki stuff, a reasonably equipped shed, and projects on the go, so there's things to gawk at and talk about, but mostly, this day/weekend is about you guys asking questions and us all sharing our knowledge and experience around.

It's suitable for all members. We'll cover anything relevant (i.e vehicle/suzuki/4WD related) that people want to discuss. There's no such thing as a stupid question or something "too basic" - sometimes the apparently "basic" question is complex or misunderstood.

People are welcome to stay- roll out a swag/tent/whatever, we'll get pizza in on Saturday night for anyone staying.

Sunday is pretty unstructured - we can cover anything that was missed, or if someone is willing to trip lead, there's always the possibility of a day trip to Mt Robertson or Toolangi as both are only 10 minutes away.

Please bring:

BYO food and beverage - we can fire up the BBQ for lunch. Bring some $$ for dinner if you plan on staying.

A chair for your bottom.

Clothing to cover all climactic possibilities. We often get a cold southerly even on warm summer days that can make standing around quite cold.

At least one topic/question/idea

Parts/tools/your car/ whatever helps us discuss your problem/question/topic* (see note below)

I believe Luigi will have his AC/DC Tig there as well.

Topics we have covered in the past:

Wiring and electrical accessories
Dual batteries
Diff gear setup
Axle building
Transfer case rebuilding
how to fit big tyres
endless suspension chat - coil conversions, airbags, leaf setup, shock choice and mounting etc.
winches
Welding
General metal fabrication

Happy to go over old topics or break new ground. Please post topics of interest in your reply to confirm attendance. this day relies on participation. Staring at the holes I've drilled in my car gets boring after a little while, so bring us something to discuss.

My address is in the member's section.

*on my note above. This is a "teach a man to fish" exercise. Please don't bring up something and ask us to fit it. We can and will troubleshoot, help and discuss, but committing to fix/fit things breaks the day as every job takes longer than expected and the whole day becomes about someones broken bolt or part that doesn't fit.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
BZOOK

Re: Tech Day, 1st/2nd Feb

Post by BZOOK »

I'm in. I have my g13a sans oil pickup. Not sure if that is of any use to look at, play with, pull apart? I also have a Vitara manual with transfer we can pull apart too if of any use.
Brenton.
richplezo

Post by richplezo »

Oh Wow this looks very interesting , i have an old SJ41ute ( you can see it on the Daylesford trip photos)
I find the stock standard low range not low enough, i have to race up hills to avoid stalling , and also steep down hills are fast too.
There is a rumbling noise in the sytem that is getting louder too( perhaps gear box transfer case or even diffs )
With this in mind , your Tech day could be helpful class time for me.
A couple of fellas on the last trip mentioned the idea of buying new gears and rebuilding the T case . It sounds interesting.

Cheers
Richard
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

Thanks Steve I will attend for the Saturday.

I would like to discuss relocating my Panhard rods to gain stability when going over rough patches on bitumen and if it is worthwhile. My reading suggests that they should sit as level as possible.

Second topic is how to unfreeze the adjustments on my adjustable Panhard rods and which way they turn to loosen if anyone can work that out.
2009 Manual Jimny
Jonno

Post by Jonno »

Can't make it unfortunately now and I had said I was planning to be there, apologies Steve. Hope it's a great day!
greyghost
Financial Member

Post by greyghost »

for once I'm in and I'll be staying over night
pirate4x4 wrote:So much hate, you guys never heard of QUADRANGULATION!? This is thinking outside the box, so outside you can not even see the box anymore :)
porter.8.luke

Post by porter.8.luke »

Hay Mitch.
Did you want to send me the lengths of 38mm tube you need and I will bring them to Steve's?
Luke
greyghost
Financial Member

Post by greyghost »

will do, ill txt them to you.
is there anything you want me to bring???
pirate4x4 wrote:So much hate, you guys never heard of QUADRANGULATION!? This is thinking outside the box, so outside you can not even see the box anymore :)
PaulF

Post by PaulF »

Hello. Happy to say that finally a club event I can get along to. Looking forward to coming along on the Saturday but will have to head off mid afternoon. So much to learn, so little time. I’d be happy to get some advice on fitting different wheels and tyres, wheel offset etc and just to check out a shed which is always good. Cheers Paul.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Tech Day, 1st/2nd Feb **cancelled**

Post by gwagensteve »

Sorry all, I'm going to have to cancel this. We're dealing with some family health issues at the moment that are making every day a bit unpredictable. (Neither of us, thankfully- we're fine) and to top it off we've had some storm damage to the house in Kinglake we also have to manage.

Sorry again. I won't propose another date until I can be fairly certain it can go ahead. No point having to cancel/move it again. I need some clear time before to prep and give it the time it needs.

Steve.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon