Wrecker Trip - Saturday April 6

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Wrecker Trip - Saturday April 6

Post by gwagensteve »

The coolest things about wreckers is checking out the weirdness. Like spending time staring at a Saab 900 engine bay (the engine is backwards. Yes. Backwards.) or the beauty of the Alfa “busso” v6. Or the way the doors on a smashed and long neglected S class Benz still shut like a bank vault.

Fun times.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

We'll we've got plenty of interest so this will definitely go ahead.
I might star another thread in the 4wd tech section with all the junkyard gold items and link it here. I've got a few things to add to Steve's list as well.
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

jono165 wrote: Thu 28 Feb, 2019 9:39 am We'll we've got plenty of interest so this will definitely go ahead.
I might star another thread in the 4wd tech section with all the junkyard gold items and link it here. I've got a few things to add to Steve's list as well.
Perfect.
Matthew
Financial Member

Post by Matthew »

jonfromhamilton wrote: Wed 27 Feb, 2019 7:18 pm do the vitara efi tanks fit between chassis rails on a lwb behind the back axle?
I've got a tank from when I pulled the motor from a SWB 1.6 GV. From memory it still has the sender, and maybe the factory "bash plate".
What's the rail width on a LWB? I'll measure the approx tank dimensions next time I visit my parents place.
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

think i need a new alternator :( getting just over 9v
jono165
Financial Member

Post by jono165 »

First post updated.

I've updated the attendee list. I have also posted a link to the topic I started under 4WD Tech - A guide to self serve wreckers.
neofitou

Post by neofitou »

hopefully I will be there too.
Greg

Post by Greg »

I'm in for this one but no picking up anything as crazy heavy as an F-Truck cab this time. :shock:
BZOOK

Post by BZOOK »

Trimatic auto. My manual Vitara ecu has wiring for an auto. I did remove it from the loom when I swapped it into my Sierra. Are there other vehicles I can get a trimatic out of or only the Vitaras?

Thanks
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

I think you’re at cross purposes. All G16b Vitaras/x-90’s/gv’s use an AW-4 auto and which requires a Tranmission Control Computer and associated loom.

All carby g16 Vitaras use a trimatic. These are mechanical/vacuum. The only wiring is the start inhibitor and reverse light switch.

Regardless, you’ll need a vitara AW-4 or trimatic along with converter, flexplate and crank spacers to swap one in. Along with the TCC and trans loom for the AW-4

As the input and output shafts, bellhousing, converter, flexplate and tailshaft housing are unique to the vitara, you’ll need all of those items to get started. Once you have all of them, yes, you can pull a core from something else for the internal parts, if you’re getting as far as digging into the guts of an auto
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon