Tech Day- 2nd Feb

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Tech Day- 2nd Feb

Post by gwagensteve »

Hi all, here is the annual(ish) tech day

Where: My shed in Kinglake - address is in the members area. If you're not a financial member yet, please PM me.

When - commencing around 10.00am. Finishes when it finishes. We can get Pizza dinner. People are welcome to stay/roll out a swag/tent whatever, especially if you're attending the Toolangi trip on the next day. (meeting point is 10 minutes from the shed)

What: General opportunity to talk tech. I have an empty agenda, so bring your ideas.

Some classics are:
Wiring
Fabrication
Welding
How to fit big tyres
Suspension improvements
Suspension design and theory
Wheel bearing overhaul
Transfer case disassembly
Fitting diff breathers
Diff setup
Changing universal joints

But we can pretty much cover anything you like. Recovery equipment and techniques, tools to take on a trip, packing the car, workshop setup and tools.... bring your ideas.

Exclusions: Please don't turn up with a suspension kit or a set of transfer gears wondering if "we could have a look at fitting them" - this is a teaching a man to fish exercise. We have troubleshot issues as they've appeared in the past, and they've been valuable learning opportunities, but we don't want the day to grind to a halt because we can't get bolts undone or you've bought the wrong part, your car is apart and you can't get home if we don't fix it.

Standard: Everyone is welcome - There's no minimum level of tech gobbledegook you need to speak to contribute. Please bing a topic/question that interests you though. By all means bring tools, parts you own, a tyre/seat/uhf whatever you want to fit etc. so we can have a look and head scratch and discuss.

What to bring: Something to put on the BBQ for lunch, beverages, something to sleep on if you plan on staying. $ for Pizza if you want to stay for dinner.

If anyone has a portable TIG they could bring along, that would be super cool. I'd like to see one in action.

PS, I'm planning on attending the Toolangi trip, so there won't be a recovery extra tech day on Sunday.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
luigi
Financial Member

Re: Tech Day- 2nd Feb

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
Hi Steve. I will bring my TIG welder (and lots of tungstens :D ).

Regards. Wayne.
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Cheers Wayne!

Oh, if anyone wants to leave anything at my place during the Toolangi trip, they're more than welcome. No need to cart a welder or whatever all over the bush.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
jonfromhamilton

Post by jonfromhamilton »

im aiming for this one too
jonfromhamilton

how does Wayne have a tig before me?1?1?
jonfromhamilton

id like to rip all but one spring out of my front suspension and see how much room i have left for tyre size xD
might need ur 1m3 cube steve lol as if #rollerskatelyf
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

The cube is only 700 tall. Either easier to aim at or more embarrassing to fail. We can always use an engine lifter to simulate flex.
Jonno

Post by Jonno »

Sounds great Steve, will be there! (Most likely will not stay over - updated)
porter.8.luke

Post by porter.8.luke »

See how I go may have to make the trip up.
I will see how Jasper is running.
Luke
gwagensteve
Financial Member

Post by gwagensteve »

Any more takers? It's going to be a quiet day at the rate we are going.... LOTS of hands went up at the club meeting for this trip.