High Country Trip 12 to 15 April 2019

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Mike57
Financial Member

High Country Trip 12 to 15 April 2019

Post by Mike57 »

The 2019 High County trip is in association with the Bairnsdale 4WD club.

Dates: Friday 12 April to Monday 15 April (This is the weekend before Easter)
Standard: Easy to Medium

Note that places on this trip will be limited and preference will be given to club members so sign up early if interested.

Meeting Time and Place
The first camp spot on the Friday night is North of Bairnsdale on the Great Alpine Road. After going through Bairnsdale you will get to a roundabout. Take the exit to Omeo/Orbost (not Lakes Entrance). This is the Great Alpine Road. Travel about 25km up this road and you will get to the town of Bullant. Take the road to the left to Omeo at the far end of the town. The next turn is 29km up this road. Turn to the right at Collins Road (at the large mail box) and head across the Tambo River to the Tambo River Crossing campsite. The Bairnadale Club will put a sign out to indicate the turn. Cross the river then turn left and go about 100 metres to the campsite. Weather permitting the Bairnsdale club will have a fire going.

You can roll up any time and I will be there from mid Friday afternoon. Allow about 4 hours travel time from Melbourne in a normal car and probably longer in a Sierra.

Updated Itinerary:
Friday 12 April
Travel from Melbourne to Tambo River Crossing (about 50km north of Bairnsdale on the Great Alpine Road). First night camp at Tambo Crossing on the other side of the river and the Bairnsdale club will put some signs out. Combined group camp to meet and greet people and drinks around the campfire. Members of the Bairnsdale club not going on trip are welcome to visit or camp the night. Bairnsdale club will cut wood for the fire during the day and prepare the camp. Anyone wishing to break the trip up is welcome to camp at David's place on the Thursday night. Please let me know if you want to do this.

Saturday 13 April
Travel the Haunted Stream Track to Dawson City. This is a fun track with 50 something river crossings most are not deep there are some Bog Holes and steep ascents, then up Boomerang Spur, from there down to Wallers Hut depending on time, across the river then to Killgowers to camp or Maize Paddock if others are camped there..

Sunday 14 April
Some may want to try Ortons Track, this track is Rated Double Black Extreme so is not for the faint hearted, some sections are 45 degree angle and it is very rutted out. Modified vehicles and winch necessary with full recovery gear even to attempt this.The rest will bypass this section and meet at the top on Mount Steve Track, from there to Camms Top Place up Murdering Spur to the Berrigan Road if time permits we may go to Harrisons Cut and down Mount Gibraltar then to Joes place in Dargo to camp. Tea will be on site or at the Dargo Pub.

Monday 15 April
The Bairnsdale crew will head home. The rest will also head back home to Melbourne but we could go via Billy Goat Bluff if anyone was interested in doing that or just head home on the bitumen from Dargo or split up at that point and do both.

This is a part of the High Country East of Dargo that I have never ventured into and the Bairnsdale crew will lead the way for this trip. Should be interesting to explore some new routes for us to take in subsequent years.

Can those that are interested please express interest now so we can get an idea of the numbers please. Also tell me if you want the Tambo Crossing option of Davids farm option for camping on the Friday night.

Suzukis will need to fuel up in Bairnsdale and then refuel in Dargo and carry an extra 20 litres of fuel for this trip.

Potential Attendees:
Mike - Jimny
Wayne - Sierra Ute
Chris (South 001) - Wrangler
Damien - Challenger
Chris (Christover1) - Pajero
Jack - Pajero Sport
Thanh - Land Cruiser
Darcy - Landcruiser
Colin and Niki - XL7 (just for the first day)

Richard M is out so no more waitlist everyone is in! Colin is also out due to an injury but will camp the first night and Niki will drive for part of the Saturday run.
2009 Manual Jimny
luigi
Financial Member

Re: High Country Trip 12 to 15 April 2019

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
Hi Mike. Sounds good, count me in.
I am happy to camp anywhere, so I will go with the majority Friday night.
Regards. Wayne.
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

Interested. Confirm closer to dates
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
South001

Post by South001 »

Definitely interested, Friday night by the river sounds good.
Thanks
Chris.
Damo

Post by Damo »

I'm in please,the river camp sounds good but happy to go with the general consensus
colnniko
Financial Member

Post by colnniko »

Me and niki are in ,at the moment anyway camp wherever Colin
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

Itinerary has been updated with a little more detail from the Bairnsdale club.
2009 Manual Jimny
South001

Post by South001 »

No Vitara I'm in the Wrangler.
Thanks
Chris.
jdndm

Post by jdndm »

Hi Mike,

Damo has been talking this trip up, sounds awesome, would be keen to join again this year in my Pajero Sport.

Will sort out the membership soon.

Cheers, Jack
Damo

Post by Damo »

Hi all
I have been following up on some info I have on a 14 acre property on the river just out of Dargo that is available to groups at a very reasonable rate and able to sleep 20 I think indoors plus campers.I will get some more details and would like to check it out as we head back into Dargo to gauge its suitability for future trips in the region,time permitting.