Tasy

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

gwagensteve
Financial Member

Re: Tasy Planning

Post by gwagensteve »

Except sierras don’t have a sump gasket.
michaelpiranha2000 wrote: The rear is in great condition. but has a broken crown wheel and pinon
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
luigi
Financial Member

Post by luigi »

Hi Fellas.
I am trying to think of ways to describe this adventure.
First night on the boat....ROUGH!
First camp....WET!
The camping, overall, very good.
The driving we did, really good fun.
The scenery. Magnificent.
The participants. Big happy family.

Thanks Steve for organising. Thanks to all who came.

Can't wait to do it again. :D
Regards. Wayne.
christover1
Financial Member

Re: Tasy

Post by christover1 »

Princess had a ball, too. Can't wait for part two. Image
ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
christover1
Financial Member

Post by christover1 »

ZOOKS RULE DA BUSH
stevend34

Post by stevend34 »

Hey All, Thanks for the great trip! I've created a dumping ground for photos and videos: (havn;t uploaded all mine as yet)

https://mtibusiness365-my.sharepoint.co ... w?e=eX9SHG

Chris, be great if you could do up one of your trip videos for us!

Here is a diary /Summary:

Epic Tasy Adventure Diary
Rough night over on the boat. Liam vomited
Day 1 Saturday
After having spending the entire day before changing a sump gasket Darcy meet up with the group in BCF car park to find oil dripping everywhere.
15mins later after sealing the dipstick sheaf we were ready to go.
Got to the highway and got into the higher and colder country. My car was next to have issue as the carby was freezing over. Tarp in front of radiator to keep some heat in it and we were good to go.
Martin's turn next as his car was losing power. Long story short his motors stuffed but it still runs. Dump pipe setup under car to blow the gases the stuffed rings are letting pass and he will keep going for now. With all this going on we decide to do the 'quick track into Montezuma falls. 4 hours later we finished seeing the most spectacular falls travelled back along the very wet and bumpy track that both Thanh and and I got bogged on the way in. Being now dark looked at our options and decided the gravel car park opposite the track was best bet for camping that night.
Liam’s highlight: steering our car into a bog hole and getting stuck
Day 2. Sunday
Headed off to Strahan via Zeehan. I ran out of fuel 2km from town. Got the local knowledge from the Information Centre and petrol station. “don’t go up towards Pieman river as there is quick sand” so off we went in that direction. First down to Macquarie heads / Hells gate. Along the beach, with waves licking our tires. Richard got booged in quick sand. Thanh thought he was next and the site of old wrecked cars kept it real. Darcy and Courtney broke their sunroof.
Got to the mouth of the river and headed into the Henty Dune area. Played on dunes for quite some time. Camped in amongst dunes on the edge of a pine plantation.
Aarons highlight: Playing cricket next to massive sand dune
Day 3. Monday
Tried to find a way out of the sand dune area. Sent drone up to see if we could see a path. In the end back tracked to past campsite and found a way out. Back to Zeehan, fixed Darcy’s sun roof, filled up.
Went up to look out of Zeehan – spectacular views – group photos.
South west to Climbes track which starts before trial harbour and goes to Granville harbour, up Federation track (hard), I got stuck in wash out. Walked the rest of the track. Rest of Climbes track was washed out and quite challenging. Fantastic views. Wayne’s quote “best 4 wheel drive track I’ve ever been on” Camped on a rise just off to the side of the track just past the river.
Most peoples highlight of the trip was Climbes track!
Day 4 Tuesday
Finished Climbes track. Lunch on the beach, Chris got bogged in sand. Drove past the end of track and had a quick look at Granville harbour.
Up to Corina, Ferry across Pieman river. Lunch at Corrina. Spoke to local ‘Blacky’ he told us of track that leads down to Wyte river. Was medium track, Chris re-shaped his roof on a branch. Some tight areas.
At river, nice camp site for 2 -3 cars, after we booged it up not so much. Swim and wash in river.

Day 5 Wednesday
Had a few challenges getting out.
Back to Waratah, filled up, confirmed our research correct and headed off to ‘Thousand Dollar Track’ Spent all afternoon going down the track. Hard track. Rocky, boggy, several tree’s over track. Got to massive bog hole, worked out a plan which involved winching the whole thing. I winched the first section. Then we re-assessed as Luke with his cracked radiator still hadn’t arrived. Admitted defeat and headed back to find Luke still repairing. Camped at start of the track.
Day 6 Thursday
Waratah. Started Magnet Mine Track. Medium track. Several small trees down. In valley track was half river have track, with some interesting angles. Lots of winching and recoveries. Aaron driving dropped it into major wash out, he loved that!
Found the mine, quite large and interesting. Went back to a grass clearing not far back to camp. Struggled getting good fire as wood was so wet.
Day 7 Friday
split into 2 groups today: Luke Darcy and Dave headed straight back to Devonport via a Penguin to pick up a surfboard
Steve Wayne Chris, Martin and Thanh, headed north, then west, great coastline views, past Rocky cape then south to Mawbanna to see. 1. Steam Engine (junk) 2. Cars on stand (not worth stopping) 3. Dip falls; short walk then quite a nice falls. 4. Massive trees. (all 4 in same area)
Travelled back slightly past Devonport to wash cars, I ran out of fuel again, stopped in hospital emergency park, told off by nurses. Arrived in Devonport 4:30 ish. Fish and chips then on the boat.

The Crew:
Chris and his dog (Princess). Mitsubishi Pajero:
Damage: Crushed side of his roof
Luke. Toyota Hilux
Damage: Dints; At rear both sides, Sill, quarter panel. Cracked Radiator
Darcy and Courtney: Suzuki Sierra, wide track
Damage: Damaged Uni. Smashed sunroof
Dave. Toyota Landcruiser
Damage: Major scratches everywhere. Vent behind rear windows ripped off
Richard. Suzuki Sierra, Hard top, narrow track
Damage: Dints in rear quarter panel, cracked tail light
Steve Aaron and Liam. Suzuki Sierra Soft top. (white)
Damage: Ripped off mud flap and part of rear bar. Dints in quarter panel
Wayne. Suzuki Sierra tray back
Damage: Nil!
Thanh and his dog Coco. Toyota Landcruiser 80 Series
Damage: Bent bash plate and number plate, major scratches everywhere, decretive chrome strip ripped off, rear bar slightly bent, roof rack bent
Martin, Bailey and Nikkita. Suzuki Sierra Soft-top (black)
Damage: Motor

General: Great trip. Water everywhere! Boys had a great time. Very tired. Didn’t touch north west at all due to not covering as much ground as we’d hoped.
Greg

Post by Greg »

Great report Steve.

Any idea how many kms or actual driving hours there were given the number of days?