High Country Tour - 2018 (16 to 18 March)

Trip Planning and Trip Reports

Moderator: Committee

Mike57
Financial Member

Re: High Country Tour - 2018 (16 to 18 March)

Post by Mike57 »

Tony has pulled out so down to 9 cars now. That is not a problem as 10 was a lot to manage anyway. Will anyone be taking a chain saw? I have one but always have trouble fitting it in.

Mike
2009 Manual Jimny
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

I just did some route planning.

Total km between fuel stops is 320 km but given 80% of this is in low range and probably a low gear add at least 50% extra fuel consumption. For me with a 40 litre tank that means bringing at least an additional 20 litres of petrol. I don't expect the larger diesel cars will need to carry any depending upon your tank size.

i intend to be at camp by 5 pm or earlier each day.

I will call the Dargo rangers and get a report on the roads and any fallen trees closer to the date. I will also check on availability of fuel at Dargo a few days before we leave.

I have not decided on the exact route between Talbotville and Billy Goat Bluff as yet, there are some options. I will decide on that after I speak to the rangers.
2009 Manual Jimny
colnniko
Financial Member

Post by colnniko »

Can bring a saw if you like mike
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

If you mean a chain saw that would be great Colin. Thanks. If anyone else can bring one then we have back up. I recall last time I destroyed my chain on the rocks hidden inside the stump. Got two new chains since then but its best to be prepared with a second one if possible.
2009 Manual Jimny
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

I have mobile numbers for all except Sookie now. If anyone can pass his on to me that would be great thanks.
2009 Manual Jimny
Damo

Post by Damo »

Hi Mike
I caught up with my nephew last weekend and we are both still attending.
Looking forward to a great trip.Damo
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

Thanks Damo you are both in and I have your mobile numbers thanks.
2009 Manual Jimny
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

Sookie has pulled out so we now have 8 cars which is a manageable number. All participants are confirmed pending any last minute issues. All that stands in our way now is weather or bush fires. Fingers crossed. If there is any change at the last minute I will call each of you by mobile.

Also note that I recall the mobile coverage in Dargo is pretty limited so if you get delayed on the Friday morning please call me well before 11 am as by then I might be out of mobile range. If you happen to arrive late and we have left Dargo then head up the main road to the Blue Rag range turn off and head up to Blue Rag where you should catch up with us. We will have a lunch stop along the way or at Blue Rag.
2009 Manual Jimny
Sierranerd

Post by Sierranerd »

Hi team,
Darcy is super keen but I will be removing myself from the standby list as I am unable to do the Friday
I plan to meet up wth you at talobotville late Friday rather than being an official participant in the entire trip.
Plan is to join you for the weekend in 100 series landcruiser to accomodate my passengers.
Is this Ok with you guys?
Darc
Mike57
Financial Member

Post by Mike57 »

Darcy.

In terms of the number of vehicles this is OK. It sounds like you intend to join up with us for the Saturday and Sunday is this correct? Are your passengers family members? I am not sure of the club policy on vehicles tagging along on an informal basis since we charge others a temporary fee of $15 per person for each passenger that is not a family member. I will check with Jon on this.

Mike
2009 Manual Jimny